Project Description

Piedmont is in Italy’s northwest and borders Switzerland and France. True to the meaning of its name,  is a land of mountains, it is surrounding by three sides by Alps, with the highest peaks and largest glaciers in Italy.  Nature is on of the attraction of this region.

Turin is divided in 10 district from the central Centre-Crocetta to the suburban Mirafiori Sud.

You can reach Piedmont and Turin by:

From Milan:

The international hub is Malpensa (MXP)  which is the top Italian airport in terms of international traffic. It has direct connections with railway and highway networks. The airport is connected to Milan by the Milano-Varese highway as well by a dedicated train called “Malpensa Express” .

Linate Airport (LIN)  is the closest airport to Milan’s city centre and is well served by domestic and short-haul international carriers. It has easy access to the local highway network and is connected to Malpensa Airport by a scheduled bus service.

By train:

From Milan To Turin: you can take Freccia Rossa that in 44 minutes you are in the turin downtown. Or Trenitalia that stop in different cities and villages in all over the region .

By Car:

-From France: through the Frejus Tunnel, Ventimiglia or Tenda Pass or via Mt Blanc tunnel and Val D’Aosta; the Montgenèvre road (RN 94/ SS 24) from Briançon to Cesana Torinese

From Switzerland through Sempione, or St Bernhard, Saint Gothard and other minor passes

From the other parts of Italy by A4 Turin- Trieste, A21 Turin Piacenza or A6 Turin-Savona highways.


Piedmont(Turin) Steps:1-5

Step 1: Visa & Legal

Piedmont is one of the both region of  Italy that  is part of the European Union. If you are coming from a EU country or one of the countries that are associated with the Schengen are( you do not need a Visa to enter the Country. You can also stay there as long as you want.

If you do not belong to one of the 26 countries under the EU, then according to how long you plan to be in Italy, what you want to do there and where are you coming from, you will need a Visa.

If you want to go to Turin to study or are doing internships or training, please click the following link to see all the terms and conditions:  or more details below

If the reason why you are going to Turin is to work, you need to get what is called a “blue card”, a special type of Visa that will allow you to work anywhere within the EU. is quite difficult to get it however, and requirements vary depending on your country of origin. Many people come to Europe to study first and then apply for a working visa afterwards because it is a bit easier to get (in Italy you can not be hire if you do not have at least an intermediate level of italian). Please follow the link below for further information about specific requirements:

Once you get the visa you can travel throughout Europe without problems.


If you come from an EU country, you can stay in Italy for up to three months without restrictions or formalities: you only need to have a valid identity document for travel abroad released by your country.

After three months from the date you will need to enroll Anagrafe of your Italian town of residence.

You will need these documents:

  • certificate of registration to the University;
  • documents proving your health care coverage;
  • documents showing a small budget adequate for your stay in Italy.

If you are a citizen of a country that does not belong to the European Union (and is not Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland , San Marino) and you would like to live in Turin or Italy for more than three months , you must apply for a residence permit within eight days of your arrival in Italy .

You can submit your application at any post office where there is the ” Sportello Amico ” .

You will need these documents :

  • Photocopy of the passport page with your personal information , the page with the visa , any other page containing stamps;
  • photocopy of the letter of invitation of the University stating the course you want to sign up, stamped by the diplomatic representation / Italian Consulate to issue a visa ;
  • certificate of registration to the University ;
  • photocopy of the documentation certifying the availability of adequate financial resources for the duration of the residence permit;
  • health insurance for the period of your stay in Italy, with an indication of your name (in the West) , the period and type of coverage , the validity for the ‘ ” Schengen Area ” , a minimum cover of € 30,000 . There shall be the policy wording in Italian , English, French or Spanish.

When you submit the application to the Post Office , the clerk will give u the proof of the registration, which also indicates the user ID and password.

Until you have received the electronic residence permit , you will need to take with you this receipt (or a copy) and passport.

The post office will give you a s convocation’s document for the mug-shot ( with recognition of your fingerprint)at  the Police , the Immigration Office of Corso Verona 4 . You can also check the status of your permit ( Foreign Area ) or ( residence permits ), you will need the user ID and password that you find on the postal.


Step 2: Accommodation

When you move into a new place, it is necessary to find a suitable place to live. Choosing the right place to live is an important decision. So, looking for your ideal accommodation is not an easy task, the Room in the Moon is here to help. Check out the following links to give you an idea of what is available to you:

If you want to rent a house in Turin you don’t need any kind of document just visit the website and rent the house/apartment or room: single room (camera singola), double room (camera doppia) or an entire house.

In italy it is common to search your future house by web, only if you would like to buy one you do through Agency.

The main website to search an apartment to rent are:


Step 3: Transport

The public transport are  well connected between urban and suburban.

In  Turin there bus underground and cub. for more information go here: (italian more complete) or (english)Check here for your journey planner:


Step 4: Work

As EU citizen or a member of the Schengen Agreement countries (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein), you do not need to apply for a special work visa. The European Union allows you to work in any EU member state.

Otherwise you must apply for a work visa at the Ministry of Foreign Affair  via the nearest Italian Embassy or Consulate.
When you are looking for a job in Italy the most important skill is the language, you have to speak just a little bit Italian and getting better by time. Not all Italian companies hire people that do not speak Italian. The international company or big company hire people that speak English

EEA countries have reciprocal arrangements whereby, if you apply for a certain document, you are entitled to healthcare in another EEA country at a reduced cost.  For example, in United Kingdom, this document is called a European Health Insurance Card. However if you are coming from outside of EEA, until you start work, you will need to have your own health insurance.

In Turin and nearby there are different companies  very famous all around the world. such as Lavazza a coffee brand , FIAT the most important auto group of Italy

You can find a job in Turin trough  the agency  or thanks to the website:


Step-5: Health system

EEA countries and Switzerland have reciprocal arrangements whereby, if you apply for a certain document, you are entitled to healthcare in another EEA country at a reduced cost.

If you have been successful in obtaining work in Turin, and you are making social security contributions through your salary, you can apply for a Social Security card by presenting your social security number at your local GP practice. With this card, you can take advantage of state healthcare. If you are here just for a trip you do not need the Health Care, the First aid in Italy is free.


The holders of a “European Health Insurance Card” (EHIC), issued in their country of origin, benefit from the medical services previously covered by E111 and E128 forms. EHIC allows a student to obtain access to the treatment which is “medically necessary” while on a temporary stay in Italy.

Citizens from outside the European Community, regularly staying in Italy, can choose between two possible types of health insurance :

  • Public health insurance supplied by SSN: it provides complete healthcare upon payment of a fee of 149.77 euros per solar year, namely until 31st December in the year of payment. In this case, it is necessary to apply to the competent ASL, for the required bureaucratic fulfillment’s.
  • Private health insurance which has to be bought directly at an Insurance Company.


Step 6: Money and Utilities


In Turin as in all Italy, the currency used is the Euro (€). The country is part of the Eurozone and so any European country using Euros will be familiar with this type of currency; the value of which does not change.

If you are coming from an area of Europe outside of the Eurozone, you need to exchange money. Click on the link below to work out the exchange rate of the Euro vs. other currencies:  

Bank Account:

If you are planning to stay in Italy for a long period, it is advisable to open a bank account – you will pay a monthly tax.  Furthermore, it is a requirement to have a bank account in order to be hired by a company so if you are looking for full time work please bear this in mind.

Here some of the Italian Bank:

Prepaid credit card

All the Italian bank as the prepaid Card and it is easy to have, you can top up your card by bank transfer (swift code) and allows you to withdraw cash in Italy and abroad and to make purchases online and in stores around the world, you do not need to have a checking account.

Thanks to the circuits of prepaid card, you can use anywhere, in Italy and abroad, on the Internet and in all atm point.  you can check all the link above if you are interested on the prepaid card.

Mobile Phone:

The international code in Italy is 0039 or +39

There are many mobile service providers in Italy and a selection of popular companies are provided below:

Depending on how you will use your device, there are many different types of contract to choose from, such as minute usage and Internet data for example. It is important to select the right plan for your budget, so it is recommended to spend a bit of time assessing all the options available to you. If you would like to stay in Italy less then a years it is better that you have a pre-pay plan instead of the contract.

if you rent a house/apartment you can have a headline plus internet:

these are the major telephone company in Italy.

Student Card:

If you are going to Turin to study then you should get an International Student Card that will get you plenty of discounts on the Cinema, museums, transport, restaurants and shops. In addition, the ISIC organizes plenty of activities that make it the perfect way to socialize as well. Please find further information in the following link:

Students have discount on city public transport subscription ( only if you do the monthly or year not for the single journey)
Households and Bills

When planning to move to a new country, one of the most important things that you need to figure out is how much money you need for your household, in order to plan how much you will need every month.

The main household bills are electricity, water, gas and the Internet that is the owner’s choice whether to include the cost to rent or make paying your bills separately,generally speaking when you rent a house all these households are included on the rent.

The Internet and landline usually cost about 40€ a month and typically includes broadband with unlimited national calls. You can find all the headline company above.

Step 7: Food

One of the most famous dishes of Turin is the bagna càuda : meal with pieces of raw vegetables served with a heated sauce of garlic and anchovies in mixed olive oil and butter. The local variation of fonduta is an egg yolk enriched fondue made with Fontina cheese, milk, plenty of butter, and sometimes garnished with shaved white truffle

Very well known is the Chocolate unforgettable are the exquisite gianduiotti chocolates made with hazelnuts the baci di dama cookies of Alessandria and Asti, and the amaretti almond cookies from Novi.
Piedmont produces some of the finest red wine in Italy: Barolo, Barbaresco, Gattinara, Ghemme, Nebbiolo, Freisa, Grignolino, Barbera, and Dolcetto.

Here you can find a list of restaurant or place to see:


Step 8: Social:

Some areas of Torino are very popular at night, and also by dayas of Torino are very popular at night, and also by day.

Quadri latero Romano

The Roman District is located near the ancient Roman encampment between via Garibaldi and Piazza Emanuele Filiberto and between via XX Settembre and via della Consolata. This central area has undergone major renovation and bursts with life from late afternoon to the early morning hours. Here you will find plenty of cafés, cocktail bars, wine bars, and eateries where you can meet new people, have a drink or enjoy a glorious meal. This area is very much alive also by day: the same old squares and narrow streets are home to vintage stores, trendy boutiques, young designer stores and original shops. The hustle and bustle of nearby Porta Palazzo contributes to keeping this area wide awake around the clock.

Murazzi del Po and Piazza Vittorio

The name “muri” or banks refers to the enbankment built at the end of the 19th century along the Po river from the Vittorio Emanuele I bridge to Corso San Maurizio. At night, particularly on Friday and Saturday, the muri come to life, especially in the summer. This is the heart of Torino’s trendiest dance scene: along the Po and in the nearby piazza Vittorio Veneto (known as “piazza Vittorio”) you will find plenty of hip spots for a drink, loud music and wild dancing to the beat of live music and famous international DJs well into the wee hours. After years of neglect the Murazzi have made a powerful comeback and have become the place to be on a Saturday night.

San Salvario District and the Park of Valentino

San Salvario is another central district located between the Porta Nuova train station and the Park of Valentino. It is a cultural melting pot that is home to many associations, historical circles and youth centers. At night the picturesque local scene comes to life: from cocktail hour and aperitivo until late into the night the area offers plenty of ethnic restaurants as well as music and dance, art performances and cultural events.

Vanchiglia District

The area of the city comprised between corso Regio Parco and corso San Maurizio is fast establishing itself as the new hot spot in town, with its historical circles and fully renovated former industrial complexes that house today a very hip night scene.

You can find info and updates on concerts , shows and parties by word of mouth, on Facebook and other social networks.

If you want a comprehensive overview of the week’s program take a minute to flip through the pages of TorinoSette (the Friday supplement of the daily La Stampa) and the free Zero magazine that is published every two weeks and that you can find in bars and shops around town.


Step 9: Sight-seen

The first city to visit should be Turin, with its Egyptian Museum, one of the largest in the world; the Shroud of Turin, one of the most precious relics in Christianity; the famous Mole Antonelliana dominating the city skyline and housing the National Cinema Museum and  the Automobile Museum .

The Reggia di Venaria Palace is a splendid a architectural structure, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site,  together with the other Residences of the Royal House of Savoy that take place partly in Turin proper, and partly in the surrounding countryside.

The Sacri Monti are beautiful masterpieces of religious architecture spread all over the region’s mountain.

Other places that you can miss are :

Alba Famous for the truffle


Borromean Island


Step 10: Cultural and Language

If you want to live in Italy and specifically in Turin you have to attend italian classes to improve or learn your Italian.

If you are a student of Politecnico di Torino you can have free class at the university: